Pages

22 February 2018

My First Ever Bulk | What I've Learned & What I've Gained

My First Ever Bulk, What I've Learned & What I've Gained, eating clean, meal prep, carbs, protein
The first thing I noticed when doing this bulk was how lovely it was to have a few extra calories for the winter months! I started my bulk in October & lasted for 4. But why did I chose to bulk? It was partially because I wanted to gain strength & muscle, but mostly because I enjoy a challenge. I wanted to explore the unknown & experience for myself what I have seen so many other people do. I also wanted to test the correlation between my food & my training & learn a lot more along the way. All of which I have now experienced.

As I mentioned, the bulk lasted for 4, where I slowly increased my calorie intake by 50 a week, until I was eating 350 extra calories a day. My macros were 30% fat, 30% protein &  40% carbs initially - with the emphasis on carbs to consume my extra 350 calories. As for my foods, they were mostly clean (around 80%), as although you're bulking, you still need to fill your body with good, useful foods - unfortunately not donuts & take outs... Then it came to my workout. I've been training around 4-5 times a week - a few more rest days to allow my muscles to rest & repair. My training has been more strength focused, really pushing myself - less reps, more sets, heavier weights & longer rests. And admittedly cardio needs building up again! I have been incorporating my cardio into HIIT ab sessions instead. For more details of how to begin a lean bulk, have a read of this post.

My First Ever Bulk, What I've Learned & What I've Gained, workout plan, weight training, back, shoulders, gains, weight training
Now onto the important bit. What have I learned & what have I gained from this experience?

I have learnt to love my body even more so. Yes I've put on a little round the edges, but I know it's only temporary, that it's part of a process & that I am proud of just what my body is achieving. So honestly, I don't care. This is the first time in my life I can say I don't care about putting on weight!

I have learnt how much extra food my body can consume & not blow up like a balloon! I feel I now have a more trusting relationship with food - as in if I go over my calories, with the right foods & am training, I know the calories are being put to good use. I guess I know more about fuelling my body now.

I have learnt how nice it is to eat the extra calories over winter. To have more constant meals & snacks. I don't know if it's mind over matter, but I feel like it kept me a little warmer over winter, having a hearty hot meal at lunch.

I have gained so much strength. 3 months ago, I was just about squatting my bodyweight & now I'm upping my squats by 5kg each week -  currently on 85kg. And every single time I squat or deadlift or lift a little more, I feel a buzz of excitement!

I have gained confidence with my lifting. Before the idea of lifting so much was daunting, but I am learning to break through that fear, as I know that is the biggest thing holding me back. If my form is good, I have a spot & I increase the weight slowly, I have confidence that it will be ok.
My First Ever Bulk, What I've Learned & What I've Gained, workout plan, weight training, abs, muscle, lean
And I have gained weight! 2kg to be precise. Body fat percent has increased by only 1% - chuffed / shocked it's not more! And muscle? We'll I've gained almost 1kg - which I am so pleased about, considering how much harder it can be for women. I am also surprised since December & January I was sick & not eating much for a few weeks.

So with all that said, yes I am really happy I tried bulking. Will I do it again? Hell yes!!! Same time next year I think. I have gained so much more than muscle on this journey, but strength, pride & confidence. I also feel so much more at piece with my body, with every new adventure I take in fitness. I appreciate my body more & love it for what it has achieved, so to hell with any haters! Plus, I'm convinced my ass has grown (should have done after all the squats!) - so win win all round. Next stop? Lean for Lent - slowly bringing my calories down to maintain & eating IIFYM for 40 days, followed by easing into a cut for summer. Feel free to join me! :)

Follow

1 comment:

  1. Bartholomew Bakery is one of the best bakery in Toronto and near places. We are providing uniuqe baked goods like Artisanal Breads, Pastries, and Seasonal Confections and much more, all our products are handmade from scratch. Visit us to explore our menu of best bakery goods.

    French bakery Toronto

    ReplyDelete